There is nothing quite like driving through the desert, especially at night. It's really something everyone should do at least once in their lives.
I think the video sums it up better than any single photo or long-winded explanation could. Here are the amazing places we visited:
- Joshua Tree National Park. $15 entry fee, $10 per night for campsites. We stayed at Jumbo Rocks, which is first come first serve. I highly recommend it, especially if you enjoy making new friends with fellow campers and hearing tales about mountain climbing expeditions and search-and-rescue teams that hunt for redheads (true story). Even though high season is over, plan on getting there before 6PM to stake your claim on the best sites.
- Crossroads Cafe. 61715 29 Palms Highway, Joshua Tree. Adorable little bohemian spot just outside of the park entrance. Vegetarian options but taxidermied wild animals as decor. Odd but they can get away with it as their homemade cornbread is to die for.
- Natural Sisters. 61695 29 Palms Highway, Joshua Tree. Four words: Date shake, add banana.
- Ricochet Vintage. 61705 29 Palms Highway, Joshua Tree. Cute selection of tutus, vintage hats, and cowboy boots. Be sure to check out the cactus garden in back.
- The Integratron. 2477 Belfield Blvd, Landers. Built over a magnetic field, the Integratron offers sound therapy. Make sure you book in advance for this unique homeopathic experience.
- Pioneertown. This small town of saddle shops and live gun shows was built in the '40's as a set for the Western films that used to shoot there.
- Pappy and Harriet's. 53688 Pioneertown Road, Pioneertown. Pappy and Harriet's is considered a Joshua Tree institution. Great live music nearly every night, ridiculously good Mesquite BBQ grilled right outside the entrance and unusual decor make it a must-stop for all High Desert road trips. I love that every drink is served in a Mason jar and the side of baked mac n'cheese for two bucks is an enormous bowl.
Your Golden Girl,
P.S. - Make sure you check out Natasha's (aka The Garage Gypsy) amazing Joshua Tree video too. She has some footage of the sound chamber at the Integratron if you're as curious as I was.
All images and video property of VisforOlive. Do not reuse without permission and credit of site.